Aquaponics 101: Intro to Aquaponics Lecture
Aquaponics 101 - Intro to Aquaponics
This FREE 2 hour lecture will introduce participants to the benefits, and limitations, of Aquaponics.
OVERVIEW of TOPICS:
Just what is Aquaponics?
- Ancient Practices Meet Modern Technology
- Symbiosis, Bacteria and the Nitrification Cycle
- Types of Systems (bed, NFT, raft)
- Benefits of Aquaponics
- Drawbacks of Aquaponics
- Planing Your Aquaponics System
- Site Selection / Planning Your Space
- System Materials (pros/cons of different materials)
- System Add-ons (cages, trellises, greenhouses)
- Fish Selection and Care (temp. ranges, feeding and harvesting)
- Plant Selection, Seed Starting and Harvesting
- System Management (water quality, fish & plant health, pest control)
The Tucson Aquaponics Project
- Mission, Vision, Goals
- Food Security
- Food Freedom
Date and Location to be determined based on interest.
We will be offering this lecture once a month, usually on a week-night evening generally in the middle of the month. However, we can accommodate requests for other days/times given enough requests. Please fill out the interest form below to be notified of the upcoming sessions.